Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chili


So, my friends were getting together tonight for a baked potato bar.  We all were supposed to bring toppings for the potatoes.  Usually I would top mine with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, and maybe chili.... So, I was down to chili or bacon.  Bacon had been claimed by someone else and there was no way I was going to eat a potato with only bacon... not interesting enough for me.  Therefore, chili was the answer.

Ingredients:
2 lb ground beef
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 bell peppers
2 medium onions chopped
2 14.5oz can tomatoes (petite-diced)
8-10 cloves of garlic minced
8 Tbsp chili powder
4 tsp oregano
4 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

I warmed the oil on medium high heat.  Browned the beef with the onions and garlic.  Then added everything else and let it simmer for 30 minutes.

This was served over a baked sweet potato.  I also had a bit of avocado on top and a few little pieces of bacon.

I thought it was tasty and would eat it over potatoes or stand alone.  I think it would be cool to add other veggies, but I'm not sure what I could add that would taste good.  Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Other Paleo friendly toppings I have had on baked potatoes: olives, steamed broccoli and grilled chicken.

    There is no replacement for sour cream, which would go lovely with those I listed above...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have since put the following into the chili:
    Parsnips
    Carrots
    Sweet Potatoes (need to be in longer than other stuff)
    Spinach
    Celery

    ReplyDelete