Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Back on the wagon

After a few days off and a few days of cheats here and there I am back on the wagon except for milk in my coffee and sugar in my bacon (does bacon free sugar exist? I like my Cheryl the Pig Lady bacon, sugar and all)...and the occasional adult beverage.

Breakfast today was a quick 2 egg scramble and chicken apple sausage. Not glamorous or fancy, but it got the job done as a post WOD meal and breakfast.

Lunch was a leftover pork chop along with some baby carrots. I was feeling quite primal as I gripped the chop and tore at the meat with my teeth.

Dinner:

Roasted chicken with parsnips, carrots and beets

Usually I follow a simple recipe for roasting chicken, just salting and roasting the bird. I wanted more flavor tonight so I found a recipe for herb rubbed chicken.

Herb roasted chicken:

1 whole chicken, patted dry inside and out
1 lemon
1/2 an onion
2-3 cloves garlic
fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
salt and pepper
olive oil
ghee

Chop the lemon and onion into chunks. Mince the garlic. Salt the inside of the bird and stuff with the lemon, onion and garlic. Chop all the herbs, add some salt and pepper then enough olive oil and melted ghee to make a slightly liquidy paste. Rub this all over the bird. Roast for about 1+ hours or until the juices run clear when pricked at 4oo degrees.


After I got the bird in the oven I peeled the parsnips and carrots and threw them in the bottom of the roasting pan where they caramelized in the juices of the bird. The beets I had were tiny and too much trouble to peel so I boiled them until fork tender then easily slipped the skin off with my hands. I threw them in the bottom of the pan along with the carrots and parsnips to roast a bit and get some of the chicken juice flavor. The carrots and beets made for a colorful tye-dyed looking dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment