Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chicken curry

Growing up my mom made this once a year when my uncle visited for Christmas. As a kid it was the best treat and was reserved for only that one time a year. When I got to college I asked my mom for the recipe and was shocked and horrified at how incredible easy it was. Why did we only eat this once a year?? Maybe it was to off set the creamed spinach souffle we were also forced to chock down when my uncle visited.

Well, this has become nearly a staple in our household as it is so easy to make a large batch of, great as leftovers and is so delicious.

Chicken curry (serves 5 adults with minimal leftovers)

Ingredients:

ghee or oil of your choice
1 onion, sliced
1 head cauliflower, chopped (optional, but dang good)
2 pounds cubed chicken or other meat
yellow curry powder (in bulk spice section of your grocery store)
1 can coconut milk
around 2 cups chicken broth
water

Toppings:

banana slices
shredded coconut
chutney
green onion
salty cashews or peanuts

Heat ghee in a large pot. Saute onions until soft, throw in cauliflower to saute a couple minutes. Remove onions and cauliflower from pot (unless it's a really huge pot and there is room) and add chicken. Pour in a couple tablespoons of yellow curry powder. The more curry, the spicier. Stir to coat the chicken with curry and cook until nearly done. Add onions and cauliflower back in, tossing to spread the curry flavor around. Pour in a can of coconut milk and about 2 cups of chickn stock. Rinse out the coconut milk can with water and add that as well. Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is done to your liking.

Serve in a bowl and top with bananas, chutney, green onions, coconut and cashews or peanuts.

Here's the recipe my mom sent me in college:

Basically you brown some onions in butter, add chicken and sprinkle with curry powder. Cover with chicken stock and simmer until done.

And we only had it once a year!!! A recipe that takes 2 lines and is so delicious! I'm incredulous.

Give it a try and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment