Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 17

Breakfast was quick this morning.

2 hard boiled eggs
A bowl of roasted veggies
coconut chai tea that was pretty gross

Lunch:
Small handful of almonds and big handful of coconut flakes, a few pecans
Left over chili with 1/3 an avocado

A Costo trip led me to buy more macadamias...guess I will have to demonstrate more will power.

Dinner:

Spiced Grilled Chicken
Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto

Inspired by my husbands cooking last night I actually looked up a recipe. Of course we didn't have the right ingredients or the 24 hours to marinate, so I altered it. From our Moroccan cook book I made Djej Mechoui, Spiced Grilled Chicken. Only mine was baked, not grilled.

Ingredients:

Chicken wings and drumsticks

pinch of saffron threads
1 t. coarse sea salt
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 t. paprika
2 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne
1/2 t. black pepper
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. olive oil
Lemon, cut into wedges

Set over to 375 degrees. Poke holes in the skin of the chicken, set aside. Place saffron and salt in a mortar and pound with pestle. Add garlic and make a paste. Add the spices, lemon juice and oil. Work it all together to form a runny paste. Rub the paste mixture all over the chicken. I even rubbed some underneath the skin since this didn't get a chance to marinade as the original recipe called for. Bake for 50 or so minutes at 375 degrees.

This was decent, not mind blowing, but a great week night dinner. The wings were better than the drums, perfect ratio of fat, skin and rub. We had no lemons which was a shame because the was screaming for a dash of lemon. It would have been perfect. I will definitely save this recipe for summer BBQ. Along with some grilled lemons and an adult beverage, this would be a great summer meal.
My one year old at about three drumsticks and my three year old had one.

I made brussels sprouts because they were in the refrigerator. I'd have to say brussels sprouts with prosciutto don't really go with Moroccan chicken, but they are so tasty.

Brussels sprouts with prosciutto recipe:

Halve brussels sprouts, boil until soft, 5 minutes or less. Cut thinly slices prosciutto into little pieces. When sprouts are done to your liking toss with prosciutto in a skillet. Super easy, super good. I like brussels sprouts the day after, the age well.

After dinner I had a couple pecans (I was reading in Bon Appetit about a New Orleans style party and they had pecan praline turtles. It got me craving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment