Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2

Breakfast:

1 soft boiled egg
tea


I like soft boiled eggs even though they take a few more minutes than scrambled. To make a soft boiled egg: boil water, add an egg and cook around 5.5-6 minutes. My 6 minute egg was a little over done, my son's 5.5 minute egg was the tiniest bit runny. I have a couple egg holders/cups and my collection of spoons acquired from different airlines back when real silverware was used make for perfect egg spoons.

"Lunch" (some food eaten around the middle of my day):

Random collection nuts while filling our nut supply after a trip to Costco
1 Hard boiled egg
Sweet potatoes left over from this recipe just sub sweet potatoes and yams for white potatoes

A bit later I had some macadamia butter with carrots.

We eat nuts. Here are the easily accessible, in the pantry we have hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds in many different forms, pepitas and sunflower seeds. I can usually find my one year old walking around with a bag of almonds or hazelnuts asking someone to open them for him.

walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, cranberries

Costco is somewhere I go too often. Today was the typical stocking up of cashews, pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, chicken apple sausage, red pepper and spinach sausage, baby carrots, eggs, bananas, avocados and string cheese for my kids. It was a very Paleo/Whole 30 grocery cart.

Dinner:

Paleo spaghetti. Just as good as the real thing. I use a spaghetti squash for the spaghetti and the sauce is a meat sauce. My three year old eats the squash like there's no tomorrow, my one year old eats the meat like there is no tomorrow. It evens itself out, right? I can't complain about my kid shoveling in forkfuls of squash.

Recipe:
1 spaghetti squash
2 lbs ground meat (I used beef)
onion
garlic
oregano, thyme, dried basil, fresh basil...you get the idea
chard or other veggies to spruce things up
1 jar clean pasta sauce (Mario Batali from Costco is sugar free! SO many sauces have sugar.)

Using your biggest knife or a machete cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, spray with olive oil and back for around an hour at 350 until cooked through.

In a pan heat up some olive oil, sautee onions and garlic, add meat to brown. Sprinkle with whatever herbs you want. Once the meat was cooked I tossed in some finely chopped chard and then poured in the jar of pasta sauce and some water to rinse the jar out. Let the sauce simmer while you scrape the squash out of the skin and shred it into its noodle like sections. Top squash with sauce. Enjoy. This recipe made enough for lots of leftovers.

Today was decent, but low on protein. After dinner the macadamia nuts were opened and it is hard to resist, so I had a small handful of those. I probably could have had more veggies as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment