Wednesday, January 25, 2012

January 25

Breakfast:

1 hard boiled egg
chunk of baked yam
handful of kalamata olives
carrots

Lunch:

A massive salad with hard boiled egg and avocado. Unfortunately it came with cheese which I didn't know about because it was hidden under a pile of sprouts (gross). I think I picked the cheese out and had a Paleo lunch.

Snack:

carrots and baba ganoush
mixed nuts-a reasonable amount, just a normal handful, not handful after handful

Dinner:

Mustard Rosemary Petit Poulet
roasted root vegetables

There were two petit poulets (game hens) in the freezer that were so cute and looked like they needed eating.

Recipe:

2 petit poulets
a bit less than 1/4 C. stone ground mustard
fresh rosemary, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic
a bit less than 1/4 C. olive oil
2 sprigs of rosemary

Pre heat over to 375degrees. Combine mustard, rosemary and garlic. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Dry birds and rub with mustard mixture, inside and out. Put one rosemary sprig inside each bird. Place in roasting pan and cook 1 hour 15 minutes or until done. Cover with foil it they begin to brown too quickly (I did about 30 minutes in).

Roasted veggies:

sweet potato
parsnips
carrots

Chop, toss in olive oil and pepper. Roast while bird cooks, about 40-60 minutes. Give a shake about half way through and look out for burning.

These little birds were delicious. I recommend making 3 if you have toddlers because they will devour the tiny chicken legs. Tiny birds make for tiny wishbones.

I have realized I have not been having enough vegetables. At the beginning of the month I was operating on my previous leaning out technique of super low carb, relatively high protein. I was also about 10 pounds lighter when trying to achieve a leaned out physique. I was also breastfeeding back then so results came incredibly quickly (breastfeeding was best weight loss technique I know, but it comes with strings attached). Now that I am not breastfeeding or near that weight I am thinking it is more important to eat more veggies, regardless of carbohydrate but staying within a healthy level, than eating tons of protein and trying to stay very low carb. If I am trying to stay low carb I tend to eat higher calorie snacks-nut, more meat than usual-and I think input vs. output is more important that macro nutrient analysis. Once I have lost about 10 pounds than I can start tinkering with carbs to regain my prior six pack. Yes, there was a six pack there for a brief while. If you don't know much about macro nutrients, don't listen to anything I have said and don't go trying to follow anything I have rambled about. Learn first, then apply what you have learned to your personal situation.

Resources:

Robb Wolf
Whole9
Everyday Paleo
Mark's Daily Apple

No comments:

Post a Comment