Sunday, January 29, 2012

January 29

Breakfast:

cucumbers and baba ganoush
1 soft boiled egg
1/2 grapefruit
green olives
celery with pecan butter
a few macadamias

I never really ate lunch, just snacked throughout the afternoon. This included:

celery and pecan butter
carrots and macadamia butter
more cucumber and baba ganoush
a few slices of chicken apple sausage
mixed nuts
some green olives
defac Americano

More veggies and any protein would have been better, but as is usually the case, the convenient food isn't the best choice.

Dinner:

Porterhouse steaks with roasted pepper sauce
Brussel sprouts

My husband made the steaks and roasted the peppers. The pepper sauce was amazing. I was actually eating spoonfuls of the sauce straight because it was so good. Basically it was roasted peppers, a tiny bit of oil, red wine vinegar, s & p and some chili flakes. It could have been served as soup, it was so good.

Porterhouse steaks are T-bones. These are HUGE steaks. Basically 2-3 servings per steak and massive bones leftover. He cooked them in a hot oven (500 degrees), but that's all I know.

The brussel sprouts were going to be cooked with proscuitto, but we had none. Then they were going to be roasted, but the peppers and steak trumped the sprouts for oven time. They were finally boiled and seasoned with some ghee, salt and pepper. Boring but good. I really like brussel sprouts, so I ate a lot of them, especially when they were smothered in the roasted pepper sauce.

My apologies for not getting recipes. Just pictures of the colorful dinner.

Two days left until I am free to eat what I want. I think I miss cream in my coffee. But then I was thinking about guacamole with tortilla chips. I also miss the occasional baked good, but I have also done this enough to know how disappointing "bad" foods can be after these challenges. Scones taste like mealy blah unless they are covered in sugar, plus the gut bomb isn't fun. Cheap chocolate has a funny feeling and the processed foods containing sweeteners leave a metallic taste in my mouth (thankfully. I think this might have something to do with my giving up soda sometime in high school). I'm not saying it's hard to eat crap food, but I know I have an awareness of how crappy it really is...a blessing and a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment