Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 19

Winter ice watch 2012 is on. This morning we woke up to everything encased in ice. It is beautiful but treacherous. Another day trapped in doors without the fun of sledding to look forward to.

Breakfast:

1 scrambled egg
1 chicken apple sausage

I fully expected my kids to eat most of the sausage but I lucked out and got to enjoy the whole link.

Lunch:

Coleslaw
1 hard boiled egg

As I have said before, I love cabbage in all forms. There is this head of purple cabbage in my fridge so I chopped some up for some slaw.

Coleslaw recipe:

cabbage
cucumber
onion
caraway seeds
cumin
pepper
olive oil
champagne vinegar

Slice up all the veggies (peppers, carrots, red onion, yellow onion, really anything that crunches will work). Combine and sprinkle with a generous amount of caraway seeds and a large pinch of cumin. Mix equal parts oil and vinegar. Toss all together and add a few twists of pepper. Done.

It keeps for days and tastes better the day after. A whole head of cabbage will make a huge bowl, so once you start just keep chopping and you will have coleslaw for days to come.

Snack:

Carrots and about a teaspoon of tapenade
Carrots and pecan butter
3 macadamia nuts

Dinner:

Because of ice hanging on power lines and some flickering lights and the question of whether my husband was going to Canada tonight or not, I decided to save the lamb shanks originally planned for dinner for another night. Instead it was a glamorous spread of scrambles eggs, sausage, avocado and salsa. For my non-Paleo family members there were corn tortillas and cheese.

After dinner I had a few almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment