Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20

The thaw has slowly set in and now the big concern is flooding. I'm grateful we live up on a hill so the water will be flowing down the hill, not settling in our basement.

Breakfast:

Veggie omelet
Chicken apple sausage

There is a great cafe in my hometown that makes a veggie scramble that I tried to emulate this morning. It was pretty dang good and I somehow made the perfect omelet, if a little brown on the outside. Fluffy, thin edges. I think the trick was ghee and not playing with it too much.

Ingredients:

2 eggs
carrots, broccoli, diced onion, chard, purple cabbage
pepper
olive oil
ghee

Slice, dice and chop the veggies appropriately. Saute the veggies over medium high heat in a little olive oil, add some water to get a quick steam if needed. Add some pepper. Remove from pan and set aside. Add ghee to the pan and add two beaten eggs. Stir the bottom of the pan and after a few seconds, once the bottom of the eggs has set, lift them and turn the pan so the uncooked egg pours underneath. Do this on each side and then walk away. Don't touch for the next 20-30 seconds. Add your veggies back in, fold in half and done. Serve with avocado slices.
If you do dairy cheese would be a great addition. Any veggies would work, but I really like cabbage and broccoli, maybe because they are not a common omelet ingredient.

After being cooped up in the house the past couple days I ventured out to survey the damage. A large limb broke off our maple tree and into the road sometime between when we went to bed and when we got up. Someone had cut it so it wasn't blocking the road. It just might be the day to buy a chainsaw. I walked up to Starbucks and got a decaf Americano. It was underwhelming as I am discovering so many foods are once I have been away from them for a bit of time. If it had been Stumptown I might have felt differently since their coffee is some of the best I have had.

On the walk home I was pelted with ice falling off of trees and power lines and trudged through 8 inches of slush. In my own yard I shook the ice and snow off our 12 foot hedge that is now about 5 feet high because it is basically folded in half. I will be staying in for the rest of the day.

Lunch:

The last leftover drumstick
carrots and pecan butter
handful of pecans, almonds and walnuts
tapenade

I had two giant jars of Costco kalamata olives and finally got around to making tapenade. It is so easy and much more economical to make your own. This recipe was my base and here is what I made:

1/2 pound pitted kalamata olives, plus about 5 large green olives
2+ T. capers
3 cloves garlic
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. olive oil

Rinse the olives and then combine in a food processor. Process until smooth. Done. Enjoy with any veggies as a great snack.

Snack:

Too many nuts
Lots of freshly made tapenade with carrots

Dinner:

Braised Moroccan lamb shanks
Broccoletti

Since I had all day to cook I could make the lamb shank recipe that takes about 3 hours.

Braised Moroccan lamb shanks:

2 lamb shanks
2 T. oil
1 T. curry powder
2 t. cumin
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. caraway seeds, ground
2 bay leaves
1/4+ C. diced onion
1/4+ C. diced carrot
1/4+ C. diced celery
3-4 T. tomato paste
3-4 T. mustard
1/4 C. mashed sweet potato
2 C. water
salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the spices and rub on the lamb. Sear the lamb in a Dutch oven or other over safe dish. Remove lamb once done and add veggies, tomato paste, mustard and sweet potato. Stir together. Add water to deglaze the pot. Throw in the bay leaves. Return shanks to pot, cover and place in 350 degree over for about 2.5 hours or until the shanks are fork tender. Once done, if there is liquid in the pot, remove shanks and simmer on stove top until liquid is reduced by half. Season to your taste with salt and pepper.

The recipe I based this on has brown sugar and molasses, so I replaced those with the sweet potato. I figured the potato would give a sweetness and thickness to the sauce. It was really very sweet considering the potato was the only sweetener. I imagine prunes would have been a good option as well. The rub had good flavor and this recipe actually made enough for leftovers that will work well on other meats.

I had a bag 'o broccoletti so that was boiled up and the kids chomped it down.

Today I went to town on nuts and snacking. I think cabin fever has set in and I am becoming lethargic. I need my normal routine back or I might become a slug. It looks like the ice is thawing and the flooding is beginning so hopefully this exciting winter weather will be over soon so life can return to the same ole, same ole.

No comments:

Post a Comment