Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 7

Breakfast:

Fried sweet potatoes and two fried eggs.
Handful of pecans, walnuts and almonds plus one macadamia nut.

It's the weekend so I slept in and had breakfast around 11:00. So nice to not have an alarm to wake up to!

Lunch:

It's hard to say. I basically snacked on nuts, carrots and had a chicken apple sausage over a many hour period. I suppose that counts as lunch.

While I was doing this snacking I was also making ghee (clarified butter), macadamia nut butter, coconut bread and baking sweet potatoes.

We finished our ghee on the collard greens and needed more. This was the first time I have ever made ghee. It is simple, basically simmering butter to separate the butter fats then strain it. It took about 25 minutes during which I whipped up a batch of macadamia nut better.

1 pound melting butter simmering butter browning ghee


Ghee:
1 pound butter

Heat the butter in a pan until is has a nice simmer. Simmer about 20 minutes or until it begins to brown and takes on a nice, caramel color. Take it off the heat and let cool completely before pouring straining through a cheese cloth or fine sieve into a storage container. It can be kept at room temperature but is better in the refrigerator. There are probably much better recipes out there on the web than this, but that's the simplest explanation of how to make ghee.


Macadamia Nut Butter:

Take nuts, put in food processor, turn on, wait
5 minutes, enjoy!
After my son and I enjoyed some nut butter and carrots I decided to make some coconut bread so I could eventually have a roast beef sandwich. I used this recipe or read below.

Coconut bread:

3/4 C. coconut flour
1/2 C. ghee or coconut oil or other fat
6 eggs
1/2 t sea salt
(1-2 T honey if you're doing sugar)

Combine ingredients, mix well. Grease a bread pan, back for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. This bread will not rise, so it will only be about 1.5 inches high. I made it once before with honey and thought it would be so good with butter and Black Forest ham. I have heard it makes a good French toast.

While I had the oven on I wrapped a couple sweet potatoes in foil and threw them in the over to get baked. No plans for them at the moment, but I know they will be eaten.

Once my coconut bread was cool enough to slice I made a few finger roast beef sandwiches. A little mustard and thinly sliced roast beef on the bread was delicious.


Dinner:

Hamburgers and Sweet Potato Chips

I had mine on a portabella mushroom bun, just a single mushroom because two wold be a whole lot a mushroom. My husband made some Whole30 compliant aioli to smear on and I also topped the burger with avocado, tomato, lettuce and mustard. Pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment