Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 8

Breakfast:

Soft boiled egg (5:30 seems to be the right cooking time)
Slice of coconut bread with a little ghee
A few carrots to add some carbs

Lunch:

The fruits of my labor paid yesterday paid off this afternoon. I had a roastbeef sandwich on my coconut bread with Paleo aioli, lettuce, tomato and mustard. I made another one, not pictured, with avocado. Lots of aioli and mustard help with the graininess of the bread. Delicious (although I noticed a scratchy feeling in my throat afterwards...weird).


We were invited to a party this afternoon so I am bringing a plate of baba ganoush. If you haven't had baba ganoush, go get some or make your own. It's a dip made from roasted eggplant. Very easy and so tasty.

Recipe:

1 large egg plant
2 T lemon juice
2 T tahini
2 T olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic
pinch of salt and cumin

Cut the eggplant in half, drizzle with olive oil, bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool completely. Scoop out insides, discard skin. Put in food processor with garlic, lemon juice, tahini and garlic. Process until smooth. Slowly add olive oil until incorporated. Taste and season with salt and cumin. Add more of whatever you think is missing-remember it is easier to add more garlic than try to cover the flavor.

Serve with veggies to dip-carrots, peppers, cucumbers, summer squash if it's summer.

I doubled the recipe so we would have a little stash to dip into over the next few days. While preparing all the veggies my kids ate about one pepper but declined the zucchini. I don't know if it's a Paleo thing or how we parent, but we have no problem with our kids and veggies.

The party went well, I ate the baba ganoush I broght along with some other veggies brought by others and some almonds and pecans. I reek of garlic and will probably smell like a garlic bulb for a few days.

After all the veggies at the party I was pretty full and was in need of some protein. Dinner tonight was a hard boiled egg and a couple macadamia nuts.

It has been a full week since beginning and I can report I am 2 pounds lighter and my hip is hurting less, although I am not going to say eating well will heal you. I have posted every day, so I am feeling good about my goals! Hope you are too if you made any goals for 2012 that started right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment